IHIT deployed to fatal targeted shooting in Surrey’s Clayton Heights neighbourhood

Dozens of police officers remain in the area of 188th and Fraser Hwy.

Homicide investigators have been deployed after a man was killed in a daylight shooting at a Clayton Heights gas station Saturday evening.

Multiple reports led Surrey RCMP to the scene near a shopping centre in the 18600-block of Fraser Highway around 6 p.m.

READ MORE: ‘Sick and tired of it’: Surrey residents vent frustration after latest shooting

Read next: Fireball facing lawsuit for selling mini bottles that don’t contain whisky

Officers found a man seriously injured with gunshot wounds, who was soon pronounced dead at the scene.

The windshield of a Mercedes SUV was later seen covered by a yellow tarp.

Story continues below advertisement

Sgt. Frank Jang with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) said Sunday the victim has been identified, and was known to police.

“We believe that this was targeted,” he said.

The identity is being held until investigators notify members of the victim’s family, Jang added.

WATCH: (Sept. 6) Two suspects arrested in South Surrey shooting

Click to play video: 'Two suspects arrested in South Surrey shooting'
Two suspects arrested in South Surrey shooting

Jang noted the number of people nearby at the time of the shooting, and asked those potential witnesses to come forward.

“It’s still very early in the investigation, and we need the witnesses who were at scene who heard or saw anything suspicious to please reach out and contact IHIT,” he said.

“This is quite a busy area, there’s businesses and residences around there,” he said. “Presumably lots of people going to dinner, filling up gas, walking [with] their kids.”
Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Target of latest Surrey shooting poses risk to public safety, RCMP warn

Read next: Adopt ‘heightened’ vigilance on reports of Russia-linked hacks over Ukraine aid: CSE centre

The shooting marks the third time in less than two months that someone known to police has been targeted in broad daylight in Surrey.

Prominent Hells Angel Suminder Grewal was killed in a South Surrey mall drive-thru in the morning of Aug. 2. Two suspects were quickly arrested and charged.

In the early evening of Sept. 3, Thomas Saul survived a targeted shooting in the Fraser Heights neighbourhood — just two weeks after escaping another shooting in Burnaby.

Police said Saul is connected to drug trafficking in the Lower Mainland, and warned the public he could be targeted again.

WATCH: (Aug. 6) Brazen Surrey shooting sparks fears of reprisal

Click to play video: 'Brazen Surrey shooting sparks fears of reprisal'
Brazen Surrey shooting sparks fears of reprisal

Prominent shootings have also been increasing in areas surrounding Surrey.

Story continues below advertisement

On Sept. 12, Justin Haevischer — whose brother was convicted for his role in the Surrey Six murders — was killed at a busy Aldergrove McDonald’s.

Jang would not elaborate on the latest victim’s criminal history, but said that information could be released after the family is notified.

READ MORE: Suspects charged for fatal Hells Angel shooting in Surrey as police prepare for retaliation

Read next: Mexico’s richest man lists $80M NYC mansion and it could break records

“It’s very important that [family members] meet with us so we can deliver this tragic news,” he said. “But obviously we share the concerns of the community.”

Witnesses have given descriptions of a possible suspect, Jang said, adding those details are not being released at this time.

He also suggested there could be more than one suspect.

READ MORE: Aldergrove McDonald’s murder victim identified as brother of Surrey Six killer

Read next: Parents issue warning after teen dies from inhaling aerosol deodorant

Story continues below advertisement

“We’re still working through the information, and there are still a lot of people who were there who have not come forward,” he said.

“This morning, as you wake up and you realize what you’re waking up to, it’s important we speak with you.”

Police remained at the scene of the shooting overnight and well into the morning to collect evidence.



Sponsored content