July 11, 2019 7:47 pm
Updated: July 12, 2019 10:59 am

Two youth found dead due to suspected CO poisoning in Saskatchewan: RCMP

Preliminary investigation indicates that the deaths of two cousins was carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Prince Albert RCMP.

File / Global News
A A

Police are releasing limited details during an “unimaginably difficult” time for families after two youth were found dead in Saskatchewan.

Two unresponsive people were initially reported at a recreational community in the Prince Albert RCMP detachment area at roughly 1:40 p.m. CT on July 9.

READ MORE: Kids suffer headaches at tournament after CO builds up in Montmartre Arena

EMS declared a 12-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl dead upon arrival. Their names have not been released by police.

Preliminary investigation indicates the deaths are the result of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, according to RCMP.

WATCH (July 10, 2019): Cause of carbon monoxide leak at Winnipeg hotel identified


Story continues below

The youth were cousins and their families said they were the best of friends.

RCMP said they were visiting the residence with family members and no one else present required medical treatment.

A GoFundMe account created by friend Jan Goy says the tragedy started out as a fun evening in a loft at the lake.

Goy said funds raised would help the families with funeral costs.

She added the parents are also in jobs that don’t have benefits or paid leave.

“Any help would be appreciated,” Goy said. “It’s been a pretty devastating week.”

The Saskatchewan coroner’s service is investigating.

-With files from the Canadian Press

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.