Advertisement

Spontaneous combustion sparks fire at Sicamous landfill

The fire at the Sicamous landfill started in wood chip pile, then spread to nearby wood waste pile, according to the Columbia Shuswap Regional District. District of Sicamous

A fire at the Sicamous landfill has resulted in its temporary closure, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District said on Saturday.

According to the regional district, the fire started early Saturday morning, at approximately 5:30 a.m., and was caused by spontaneous combustion within the wood chip pile.

That fire then spread to the wood waste pile.

READ MORE: Evacuations continue Saturday in Pikangikum First Nation as forest fire rages

The regional district said the fire is under control and that crews are on scene. It added the fire was contained and did not spread beyond the landfill’s borders.

WATCH BELOW (Aired May 29, 2019): Alberta mother jumps from house with baby during fire

Click to play video: 'Alberta mother jumps from house with baby during fire' Alberta mother jumps from house with baby during fire
Alberta mother jumps from house with baby during fire – May 29, 2019

The landfill, which is located at at 950 Two Mile Road, will be closed on Saturday.

Story continues below advertisement

“This fire was was not the result of a controlled burn,” the regional district said on its website. “The CSRD does not ever conduct controlled burns of woodwaste at any of its landfills or transfer stations.”

Sponsored content