May 17, 2019 10:47 am

Dog dies in Port Hope-area house fire

A dog died following a house fire in the Municipality of Port Hope on Thursday evening.


A dog died following a house fire in the municipality of Port Hope on Thursday evening.

Around 5:30 p.m., firefighters were called to a blaze on Ganaraska Road west of County Road 28 near the hamlet of Campbellcroft.

READ MORE: Fire rips through transport trailers outside Peterborough moving business

Crews quickly contained the fire and prevented it from spreading throughout the house.

However, Port Hope Fire and Emergency Services Chief Ryan Edgar says firefighters found a deceased dog inside that they suspected had died of smoke inhalation.

Edgar says an unattended pot left on a stove is being blamed for the blaze, which caused an estimated $50,000 in damage. The homeowner was not home at the time.

No other injuries were reported.

WATCH: St. James congregation in Roseneath holds final service before historic church decommissioned

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.