Winnipeggers who are fans of free stuff should keep an extra eye on the curbs this weekend, with the bi-annual Giveaway Weekend taking place.
Residents are allowed to put items such as furniture, small appliances, gardening tools and more with a sign tagged “free” on the item by the curb from Saturday until dusk Sunday.
- Books, CDs, DVDs
- Furniture, electronics, artwork, mirrors
- Sports equipment, toys
- Yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
- Small appliances, kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
READ MORE: 5 Ways to get rid of your junk in Winnipeg
- Items harbouring bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
All items on the curbs should be in good condition.
Following the rules
- Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE”
- Check all items closely for bed bugs before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home
- Respect other people’s property – don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens
- Giveaway items should still be in good condition
- Don’t discard any items on another person’s lawn
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block people’s driveways with your vehicle) and watch out for child
Any items that are not picked must be brought in Sunday at dusk.
More details can be found here.
WATCH: When in doubt, find out: City of Winnipeg trying to curb recycling waste