May 2, 2019 12:51 pm
Updated: May 3, 2019 12:56 am

B.C. police watchdog says 2 people killed in Surrey hostage taking were shot by officers

WATCH: The family of a Surrey woman killed in a hostage-taking incident are speaking out now that the Independent Investigations Office has determined she was killed by police gunfire. Sarah MacDonald reports.


B.C.’s civilian police watchdog says both people who died in a hostage situation in Surrey five weeks ago appear to have been shot by police.

On Thursday, March 28, Surrey RCMP were called to a home in a cul-de-sac near 133 Street, where officers engaged in an overnight standoff with a man and a woman.

READ MORE: 2 people killed, shots fired in Surrey city centre hostage taking

The Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team (ERT) entered the home around 7:30 a.m. the following morning and “a confrontation with the barricaded male ensued” according to police, which ended with an exchange of gunfire.

Family and friends have identified the woman killed in the hostage incident as Nona McEwan.


The man inside the home died at the scene, while the woman, identified by family and friends as Nona McEwan, was taken to hospital where she later died.

McEwan’s sons were on scene since the incident began on the evening of the 28th, and told Global News she was being held hostage by her partner.

Global News has identified the man who was allegedly holding McEwan hostage as Randy Crosson.

Global News has identified Randy Crosson as the second person fatally shot in a standoff with Surrey RCMP at the end of March.


WATCH: Video shows ERT take down at scene of Surrey hostage taking

Story continues below

The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) says it has been dealing with a “significant” workload on the case, which has involved conducting more than 40 interviews.

“The evidence gathered to date demonstrates that the male and the female both succumbed to injuries caused by shots fired from police,” said the agency in a media release.

“The IIO’s investigation continues into all aspects of this matter, with the goal to determine whether police actions were lawful, proportionate and reasonable, or if any offence may have been committed.”

READ MORE: Surrey RCMP say no one was hurt following 13-hour standoff

At the time of the shooting, investigators had said it was not clear how McEwan had died.

A crowdfunding campaign has been set up for McEwan’s family.

McEwan’s brother-in-law Nic Chutskoff said Thursday the family is facing eviction from the home by Surrey bylaw officers, who are telling them to be out by Monday.

They’re asking for an extension in order to retrieve their belongings.

“We just need one week,” Chutskoff said. “The kids haven’t even been able to pick through their parents’ stuff.”

WATCH: IIO announce two people killed in North Surrey hostage situation

Fighting back tears, Chutskoff said the news McEwan died from shots fired by police was “not surprising.”

“I’m angry,” he said. “We knew, as soon as the IIO was called in and they weren’t saying anything to us, that there was some kind of mishap.”

He also said police should have listened to McEwan’s sons and ex-husband on scene, who told officers they could enter and that Crosson was intending to keep McEwan hostage.

READ MORE: Longtime Surrey cop ‘frustrated’ by rise in violent crime after latest fatal shooting

McEwan’s ex-husband Shawn Stubling said he wants to see “accountability” from police as a result of the investigation.

“They need to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again,” he said.

“It seems to me like a pretty big mistake. A huge mistake. That’s the mother of my kids. And [McEwan and Crosson’s daughter] has no parents now.”

—With files from Sean Boynton and Sarah MacDonald

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.