Trial begins for man accused in violent Edmonton road rage attack

Click to play video: 'Man accused in ‘vicious road rage’ attack on trial' Man accused in ‘vicious road rage’ attack on trial
WATCH ABOVE: A shocking assault with a metal bar left an Edmonton woman with two broken arms. Now, the man accused in the attack is on trial. Sarah Kraus has more from the law courts – Apr 8, 2019

Jared Matthew Eliasson, who was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault after what police called a “vicious road rage” incident in March 2017, is standing trial before a judge.

On March 7, 2017, a 34-year-old woman suffered two broken arms after being attacked outside her vehicle in southeast Edmonton.

Eliasson, who was 29 at the time, has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, aggravated assault, possessing a dangerous weapon and mischief to a vehicle.

READ MORE: Attempted murder charge for Edmonton crowbar road rage incident that broke woman’s arms

According to an agreed statement of facts, the accused stopped the Pontiac Wave he was driving at 87 Street and 76 Avenue sometime before 7 a.m. The victim drove up behind him and honked her horn several times and yelled: “Move.” The agreed statement of facts says the accused looked over his shoulder and drove his vehicle forward. The victim drove past and drove to her home several blocks away.

Story continues below advertisement

She was struck twice with a metal bar as she stood outside her vehicle. She put her arms up to protect her head and both arms were broken.

Court documents show the victim, Chelsey Schendzielorz, suffered “significant injuries in the course of the assault” and “required multiple surgeries, including the insertion of metal plates into her arms.”

Victim's injury following March 7, 2017 southeast Edmonton attack. supplied: court evidence
Court evidence shows damage to victim's car. Supplied: Court evidence
Knife found in suspect vehicle (not used). Supplied: court evidence
Crowbar found in suspect vehicle. Supplied: Court evidence
Victim's injury following March 7, 2017 southeast Edmonton attack. supplied: court evidence
Suspect toque. Supplied: court evidence
Story continues below advertisement
Items found in suspect vehicle. Supplied: court evidence
Items found in suspect vehicle. Supplied: court evidence
Suspect vehicle. supplied: court evidence
suspect vehicle. supplied: court evidence

Eliasson appeared in an Edmonton courtroom on Monday and witnesses also took the stand.

Story continues below advertisement

One individual who testified was a man who runs a newspaper delivery company. He said Eliasson was tasked with delivering newspapers in the King Edward Park area at the time of the attack.

Court also heard from an Edmonton police officer, who testified he found a crowbar and large knife in the Pontiac car parked in front of Eliasson’s house. However, the crowbar was never sent in for DNA testing.

An agreed statement of facts said the Pontiac is registered to Eliasson’s mother, who gave him permission to drive it that day. That officer also said he found a grey and blue toque in Eliasson’s house during the execution of a search warrant.

READ MORE: Edmonton woman suffers 2 broken arms after crow bar attack in ‘vicious road rage’ incident

Dashcam video from the victim’s vehicle captured footage of a man EPS believes is Eliasson. Police released it two years ago as part of a plea for tips from the public during the early stages of the investigation.

The defence says while Eliasson was the man in the car blocking the victim and was the man captured in the dashcam video, he was not the attacker.

Court heard that when the victim was asked to look at a photo lineup, she identified two men, neither of whom were Eliasson.

Story continues below advertisement

Later Monday afternoon, Schendzielorz was asked if her attacker was the accused, sitting in the courtroom. She hesitated before saying: “I believe so.”

READ MORE: ‘You heal faster if you’re positive’: Edmonton crowbar road rage victim forgives man accused of breaking her arms

The trial expected to last nine days.

WATCH BELOW: After three days of evidence, closing arguments were heard Thursday in a disturbing case of road rage. The attack left an Edmonton woman with two broken arms. Sarah Kraus has more.

Click to play video: 'Closing arguments in Edmonton metal bar attack' Closing arguments in Edmonton metal bar attack
Closing arguments in Edmonton metal bar attack – Apr 11, 2019

— With files from Sarah Kraus, Global News

Sponsored content