Advertisement
Health

Ammonia leak forces closure of Cobourg Community Centre

An ammonia leak Monday morning forced the closure of the Cobourg Community Centre. No injuries have been reported.
An ammonia leak Monday morning forced the closure of the Cobourg Community Centre. No injuries have been reported. Pete Fisher/Special to Global Peterborough

An ammonia leak on Monday morning forced the closure of the Cobourg Community Centre.

According to the town’s municipal website, town staff were alerted to the issue via the centre’s ammonia sensor equipment before 6 a.m. Staff quickly isolated the issue and are working with the Cobourg Fire Department to assess the scene. The alarm was triggered in a compressor room in the building.

READ MORE: Deadly Fernie ammonia leak caused by decision to operate leaky chiller: report

“At no time was any occupant of the building at risk,” the town statement reads.

An ambulance was on standby in the parking lot as a precaution.

Firefighters oepned a bay door and were using a fog pattern of water to dissipate the ammonia.

All morning classes have been cancelled. The building remains closed until further notice.

Story continues below advertisement

The cause of the leak has yet to be determined.

The arena re-opened around 4 p.m. Monday afternoon.

WATCH: Edmonton rec centre evacuated amid ammonia gas leak

Edmonton rec centre evacuated amid ammonia gas leak
Edmonton rec centre evacuated amid ammonia gas leak