March 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Ontario government to provide $10M per year for horse racing programs

A thoroughbred race horse and jockey make their way around the 1.6km track at Fort Erie Racetrack during early morning warm-ups. in Fort Erie, Ont, on July 21, 2018.

THE CANADIAN PRESS IMAGES/Mark Spowart
A A

INNISFIL, Ont. – Ontario has announced that $10 million per year will go to horse racing industry programs.

Finance Minister Vic Fedeli says the funding will support breeding and industry development for Ontario-bred horses and will be administered by Ontario Racing.

READ MORE: Woodbine Entertainment to pay cost of building new GO station at Woodbine Racetrack

Fedeli says the investment through the Horse Improvement Program will help ensure the horse racing community can create and protect jobs.

VIDEO: New GO station to be built in Woodbine


Story continues below

A long-term funding agreement was previously signed between the industry and the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp, providing up to $105 million per year for 19 years for racetrack operations and purse support.

READ MORE: COSA and Ontario Racing support Western Fair, unhappy with London’s casino relocation

As well, the government has previously announced packages through the Optional Slots at Racetracks Program for operational funding for eligible racetracks that lost or were going to lose slot facilities.

Kawartha Downs, Ajax Downs, and Hiawatha Horse Park elected to keep slots facilities, while Fort Erie Race Track and Dresden Raceway chose to receive additional money for horse racing operations.

VIDEO: Ajax Downs to keep their slots and horse racing

© 2019 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.