Memorial set up in honour of Winnipeg teen killed in home invasion

Global News

A memorial is growing outside of the McGee Street home of a Winnipeg teenager who died after being attacked during a home invasion.

Seventeen-year-old Jamie Adao called 911 Sunday night after an intruder entered his home. While on the phone with the emergency operator, he was attacked.

READ MORE: Winnipeg teen killed by random attacker in brutal West End home invasion

Police say they were forced to shoot the 29-year-old attacker to stop him.

Both attacker and victim were rushed to hospital, but Adao later succumbed to his injuries.

WATCH BELOW: Fatal beating in violent Winnipeg home invasion ‘inconceivable’ police say

Click to play video 'Fatal beating in violent Winnipeg home invasion ‘inconceivable’: police' Fatal beating in violent Winnipeg home invasion ‘inconceivable’: police
Fatal beating in violent Winnipeg home invasion ‘inconceivable’: police – Mar 4, 2019

Winnipeggers were seen paying their respects by placing flowers outside of the family’s home Tuesday morning.

Story continues below advertisement

Police say the attacker and the victim were not known to each other.

Jaime is the son of Jim Adao, who owns Jimel’s Bakery locations on Bannatyne Avenue and Sheppard Street along with his wife Mel.

Employees at the bakery told Global News the bakery will be closed for a week.

RELATED: West End robbery results in long list of firearms charges

St. Norbert MLA Jon Reyes, a friend of the Adao family, told 680 CJOB it was a sad day for Winnipeg’s Filipino community.

“I can tell you that the family are very generous people, very giving people. They’ll give you the shirt off their back by volunteering, by contributing,” he said.

MLA Jon Reyes. Twitter

“It’s just sad to see that a family like this, who immigrated to Canada through the provincial nominee program and built a successful business with their bakery – things were going very well for them.

Story continues below advertisement

“You come here to Canada, you want to give that opportunity for your kids, and to see this happen – what do you live for after something this tragic happens? I can’t imagine.

“Jim-Boy, as they called him, was going to be graduating high school, he was 17. I’m just taken aback and a lot of community members are taken aback by something this tragic happening.”

Reyes said he’s seen an outpouring of support from the city’s tight-knit Filipino community already, and expects the family to continue to receive that support going forward.

READ MORE: Filipino-focused supermarket to occupy part of former Sears space in Garden City

“Just by the posts I see on social media, everyone is reaching out to them,” he said. “I’ll certainly reach out to them when its appropriate, and the community will remain strong. We’ll move forward from this.

“The last thing you want is this to happen to anyone. They’re such a nice, caring family and things were going on the up and up for them. Something like this is really sad for everyone. You’ve just got to be really careful, I guess.”

Sponsored content