Advertisement

Carbon monoxide leak forces closure of Cobourg Community Centre

Pete Fisher/Special to CHEX News

A carbon monoxide leak forced the closure of the Cobourg Community Centre on Monday morning.

At around 7:30 a.m., firefighters were called to the facility and discovered a problem with a heating system.

READ MORE: Kids suffer headaches at tournament after CO builds up in Montmartre Arena

The incident caused carbon monoxide to be released throughout the building on D’Arcy Street, firefighters said.

The Town of Cobourg issued a statement saying the building would be closed and that all scheduled classes have been cancelled.

Several patrons arrived at the building only to be turned away.

READ MORE: Working CO detectors can save lives

Story continues below advertisement

However, around 1 p.m. the building was reopened.

The Town noted classes would still be cancelled however all ice rentals were available from 1 p.m. onwards and the Cobourg Cougars game was still scheduled.

WATCH: The importance of CO detectors in schools

The importance of carbon monoxide detectors in schools
The importance of carbon monoxide detectors in schools