West Wind Aviation marks one year since Fond du Lac plane crash

Click to play video: 'West Wind Aviation marks 1st anniversary of Fond du Lac plane crash'
West Wind Aviation marks 1st anniversary of Fond du Lac plane crash
WATCH ABOVE: Just over two dozen passengers and crew were aboard a West Wind Aviation flight that crashed a year ago in northern Saskatchewan, leaving a deep and lasting impact on survivors. Meaghan Craig reports – Dec 13, 2018

Every time Amanda Short looks at herself in the mirror and sees her scar, she relives the horrific plane crash she survived exactly one year ago.

She was among the 22 passengers and three crew members who crashed shortly after takeoff the evening of Dec. 13, 2017, from the Fond du Lac airport in northern Saskatchewan.

The details she recounts are chilling leading up to the crash and the moment she woke up after impact.

“I just remember screaming and that’s all I remember from the accident until waking up in the middle of nowhere,” Short said.

“I don’t even know how I crawled out of the plane or what I did and then I was just in the bushes.”

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH BELOW: Survivor describes Fond du Lac plane crash scene on 1-year anniversary

Click to play video: 'Survivor describes Fond du Lac plane crash scene on 1-year anniversary'
Survivor describes Fond du Lac plane crash scene on 1-year anniversary

The 28-year-old had just accepted a position as a community mental health nurse in northern Saskatchewan; that fateful day was her first flight in and out of the region.

She said the worst part was not being able to do what comes natural to her as a nurse – helping others in need.

“I couldn’t wipe the blood away from my eyes fast enough to even see.”

WATCH BELOW: Coverage of the Fond du Lac plane crash

Story continues below advertisement

It was then that she and the others were rescued by locals and her road to recovery began, one she said has been difficult.

Short will require follow-up medical appointments for at least another year and switched jobs entirely because she is now afraid to fly.

“It’s heart-wrenching to see what the survivors have gone through – they are survivors,” said West Wind Aviation CEO Michael Rodyniuk.

“The greatest burden on my heart is Arson Fern Jr. who passed away two weeks later in hospital.”

On Thursday, Rodyniuk said Fern Jr.’s death will not be in vain and that this tragedy will be the catalyst for improvements to aviation throughout the entire country.

The company itself has gone through a massive overhaul.

After just months into the investigation, it was revealed that the aircraft was never de-iced at the airport even though the equipment was right there.

“I can emphatically state that we have made improvements to everything,” Rodyniuk added.

“In fact, we’ve spent more on de-icing and de-cing protocol in the first six weeks of this year than we did for the entire year of last year.”

Story continues below advertisement

Rodyniuk said the actions of many people the night of the crash saved lives, including the actions of flight attendant Jenny Tait and a physician who was a passenger on the plane.

“It is by the grace of God and through the heroic efforts of all those who answer the call to help that prevented further injury and loss of life,” Rodynuik said.

“While we cannot change the past, we can, and have, made significant changes to prevent a reoccurrence.”

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) has not yet determined the cause of the crash.

The agency also said the flight’s takeoff weight was below its maximum takeoff weight, the centre of gravity was within limits, and both pilots were certified and qualified.

TSB is updating its investigation into the crash on Dec. 14.

West Wind understands the announcement will not be the conclusion of a probe into what happened, instead the investigation will continue on for quite some time.

Sponsored content