Advertisement

Checking smoke alarms, cleaning lint traps among fire safety tips

TORONTO – A joint funeral service will be held Friday afternoon for four family members killed in a house fire in Newmarket.

The fire killed 55-year-old Kevin Dunsmuir, his wife 51-year-old Jennifer and two of their sons – 16-year-old Cameron and 19-year-old Robert.

Fire officials say there was no smoke detector on the on main floor of the home and the second smoke alarm was wired through the laundry room where the fire is believed to have started.

Officials from Toronto Fire Services tell Global News that there should be a working fire alarm on every floor.

Further, officials say, homeowners need to keep clutter from gathering around furnaces, clean lint from laundry machines, extinguish cigarettes and blow out candles.

Sponsored content