October 11, 2018 6:11 pm
Updated: October 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Chlorine gas mixed up in error at Stonebridge hotel: Saskatoon Fire Department

The Saskatoon Fire Department believed the chlorine gas was a result of error at a hotel in the Stonebridge neighbourhood.

Saskatoon Fire Department / Supplied
A A

The Saskatoon Fire Department believed chlorine gas was mixed up in error at a hotel in the Stonebridge neighbourhood Thursday.

Firefighters and a hazmat unit were sent to the Home Inn & Suites at 253 Willis Cres. after a 911 call about a chemical exposure at roughly 12:40 p.m. CT.

READ MORE: Ronald McDonald House evacuated after report of unknown substance

Crews immediately restricted access to the area and isolated the risk to one room.

The hazmat crew later determined muriatic acid had been mixed with chlorine, resulting in chlorine gas.

The fire department believed the cause of the chemical mixture was “accidental in nature.”

READ MORE: Methyl alcohol leaks from tanker at Saskatoon truck stop

Three people were assessed by paramedics and later hospitalized. The extent of their injuries is unknown at this time.

Two members of the fire department were also taken to hospital as a precaution.

Crews remained to clean up and decontaminate the scene.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.