A natural gas leak forced the evacuation of several businesses in the city’s southwest Thursday morning.
Calgary Fire said they were was called to a commercial strip mall at the corner of 17 Avenue S.W. and Sirocco Drive at around 1:40 a.m. after a worker in a pub noticed a strong gas smell.
Calgary Fire said it appears a vehicle hit an exterior gas line, causing natural gas to leak.
READ MORE: Gas leak closes road in southeast Calgary
About six people were forced to leave a local business, fire said.
Fire said about 600 homes had gas and power shut off for safety reasons earlier in the morning.
The power was restored around 7 a.m. Thursday, officials said.
“ENMAX started restoring power to the affected residences and businesses in the area and ATCO has started repairs on the damaged line,” Calgary fire said in a news release. “No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.”
Calgary fire said they are looking for witnesses to the incident.
“Anybody with information on the cause of the damaged gas line is asked to please email to firstname.lastname@example.org,” they said.