Advertisement

Stain-soiled rags cause of multi-structure fire in Montgomery neighbourhood

The cause of a fire that heavily damaged three homes in Saskatoon’s Montgomery Place neighbourhood was stain-soiled rags that spontaneously combusted.
The cause of a fire that heavily damaged three homes in Saskatoon’s Montgomery Place neighbourhood was stain-soiled rags that spontaneously combusted. Phillip Bollman / Global News

The cause of a fire which destroyed three homes in Saskatoon’s Montgomery Place neighbourhood was soiled rags used for staining, which spontaneously combusted.

The rags had been placed in an open container in an attached garage at 1221 Crescent Blvd., a property that was in its final stages of construction.

READ MORE: Family of five left homeless after fire in Saskatoon’s Montgomery neighbourhood

Just after 12:15 p.m. Sunday, multiple calls came into the Saskatoon Fire Department of a home on fire in Montgomery Place.

Crews arrived to find two homes under construction, two pickup trucks, and several trees engulfed in flames.

The blaze spread to a third home before it was brought under control.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Better response, service times goal of new Saskatoon fire hall

Damage is estimated to be in excess of $2 million.

No injuries were reported.

The fire department recommends product-covered rags be left outside, away from any combustible materials, and allowed adequate time to dry before disposal.