Advertisement

House fire in Springwater caused by improperly extinguished cigarette, officials say

Springwater Fire / Provided

A residence on Sunnidale Road in Springwater Township caught fire after a cigarette was improperly extinguished, officials say.

According to a release from Springwater Township, at approximately 9:30 a.m. on July 7, a passerby driving along Sunnidale Road noticed smoke coming from a home and called 911.

READ MORE: Police investigating after fire rips through century home in Bradford

Officials say none of the occupants had evacuated the home, so the passerby began knocking on windows and doors to alert the residents of the fire. As a result, all four occupants and their pets were able to make it out of the home safely before firefighters arrived.

Springwater Fire and Emergency Services responded with four stations and approximately 30 firefighters.

When they arrived on scene, firefighters discovered heavy smoke in the interior of the home. Firefighters were able to locate the fire in the attic and began an aggressive attack.

Story continues below advertisement

Firefighters opened the ceiling of the home and vented the roof to contain the fire to the attic. Officials say they were able to bring the fire under control quickly.

READ MORE: ‘It’s always a good idea to talk about fire safety’: Barrie’s deputy fire chief

The cause of the fire was determined to be an improperly extinguished cigarette, and is not considered to be suspicious. Officials say damage was limited to $150,000.

“Proper disposal of cigarettes and ashes are crucial, especially with the hot, dry temperatures we’ve been experiencing lately,” Springwater Deputy Fire Chief Jeff French said in a statement. “Always dispose of them in a metal container, with a little bit of water, that is stored well away from buildings and combustible materials.”

Sponsored content