April 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Updated: April 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Calgary truck company owner speaks after Humboldt Broncos crash

WATCH ABOVE: Owner of truck company involved in Humboldt Broncos fatal crash speaks

A A

The owner of a trucking company involved in a horrific collision that killed 16 people on the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team bus says he is sorry.

“I’m just sorry for everything,” Sukhmander Singh told The Canadian Press on Wednesday. “Tough time for everybody.”

WATCH: Cause of Humboldt Broncos bus crash sought with heavy hearts

He says the tragedy has upended his life and he’s not sure what the future holds for his business.

“It changed my whole life, this incident,” Sukhmander Singh told reporters outside his suburban Calgary home Wednesday.

The soft-spoken and visibly tired man said he doesn’t know what his next steps will be, as an investigation continues into the collision, which happened near Tisdale, Sask. on Friday.

“Lots of pressure on my mind,” he said. “My work is gone. My other truck is shut down now.”

Truck involved in Humboldt Broncos fatal bus crash in salvage yard

Alberta Transportation said Tuesday it had ordered Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. to keep its only other truck off the road. The move is standard when a company has been involved in a serious accident, the province said.

Transportation Minister Brian Mason said the company started operating last fall and hasn’t had any violations or convictions and hadn’t been in any collisions, until this one.

Singh said he hadn’t spoken to the driver about what happened, but that his 30-year-old colleague had been going to the doctor every day.

Singh said the driver, whose name he did not provide, started working for him about a month ago. Singh said he and the driver, who is also from Calgary, are the only people working for the company and that the two know each other through their circle of friends.

WATCH BELOW: Alberta transportation minister Brian Mason confirms Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. was suspended indefinitely by the Alberta Transportation ministry pending an investigation.


Story continues below

Singh said he had checked the driver’s credentials before hiring him.

The Broncos were heading to Nipawin for a Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoff game when their bus and a semi truck carrying a load of peat moss crashed at an intersection. There were 29 people on the bus. Sixteen people died and 13 were injured.

READ MORE: Humboldt Broncos centre Brayden Camrud released from hospital

The driver of the truck was not injured. RCMP said he was initially detained, but was released and offered counselling.

The cause of the crash is still unknown.

READ MORE: Investigating Humboldt Broncos crash likely to be a long process, experts say

Saskatchewan RCMP said Wednesday officers continue to investigate. They said they have done dozens of interviews and vehicle computer data is being recovered and analyzed.

“Investigations such as this can take significant time,” the Mounties said in a release. “However, we have dedicated the necessary resources to ensure this investigation can be done as expediently as possible.”

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News