Advertisement

$388M agreement invests in Saskatchewan agriculture

“This joint investment supports continued growth and profitability for Saskatchewan’s agriculture industry,” Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister Lyle Stewart said. “The programs, services and investments supported by the agreement are responsive to the needs of Saskatchewan’s industry now and in the future.”. File / Global News

On March 28, the governments of Canada and Saskatchewan announced details for the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP) program.

The agreement, effective April 1, is between Canada and Saskatchewan and provides for priority programming to support the provincial agriculture sector and will replace the Growing Forward 2 (GF2) framework.

“This joint investment supports continued growth and profitability for Saskatchewan’s agriculture industry,” Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister Lyle Stewart said. “The programs, services and investments supported by the agreement are responsive to the needs of Saskatchewan’s industry now and in the future.”

READ MORE: Growth expected in Canada’s agriculture sector: FCC

The CAP is a $3 billion, five-year investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to help Canada’s agricultural sector innovate, grow and prosper.

Story continues below advertisement

“The Canadian Agricultural Partnership will help the sector in Saskatchewan continue to innovate, grow and prosper,” Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Lawrence MacAulay said. “We are committed to expanding business opportunities for our Canadian producers, ranchers and processors, and strengthening the middle class while helping the agricultural sector reach its full potential.”

Over the next five-years, the CAP agreement will see $388 million invested in strategic agricultural initiatives in Saskatchewan. The federal government will contribute 60 per cent and the province funds the other 40 per cent.

 The Saskatchewan cost-shared program suite will invest in strategic initiatives to drive outcomes in six priority areas over the next five years.

  • Science, Research and Innovation: $191.5 million investment to build on Saskatchewan’s competitive advantages by advancing science and research capacity.
  • Environment and Climate Change: $70.5 million to support the long-term resiliency and sustainability of the sector.
  • Risk Management: $48 million to support the sustainability of the sector by anticipating, mitigating and responding to risks.
  • Value-Added Agriculture: $30 million to support growth in the value-added and agri-food processing sector.
  • Public Trust: $8.5 million to support public trust initiatives
  • Trade and Market Development: $7.5 million to assist industry in expanding domestic and international trade opportunities. Switch to bullet points in word press

READ MORE: Grain backlog focus of agriculture minister meeting

Additional investments of $32 million will be allocated to activities delivered by the federal government on behalf of the province.

Story continues below advertisement

The partnership includes a complete and effective suite of business risk-management programs with efforts to help farmers manage risks that may threaten the viability of their farm.

Sponsored content