1 officer kicked in the head, others hurt while arresting Trans Mountain protesters

Click to play video: 'Kinder Morgan pipeline protest arrests get ugly'
Kinder Morgan pipeline protest arrests get ugly
WATCH: Protesters at Kinder Morgan's Burnaby property are escalating their attempt to slow work on the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. As Geoff Hastings reports, RCMP are tasked with making repeated arrests – Mar 20, 2018

Burnaby RCMP said they arrested 12 more protesters on Tuesday who were attempting to blockade a Kinder Morgan facility on Burnaby Mountain.

It came after a night in which protests became more aggressive, with one police officer sustaining a head injury from being kicked in the head, one being left with a knee injury and another a hand injury following a scufflie when four protesters were arrested, according to the RCMP.

WATCH BELOW: Protesters returned to the Kinder Morgan site in Burnaby Tuesday, zip tying themselves to the entry gates before being arrested by the RCMP.

Click to play video: 'Woman in wheelchair arrested at Kinder Morgan site in Burnaby'
Woman in wheelchair arrested at Kinder Morgan site in Burnaby

This was following 15 arrests that happened earlier on Monday.

Story continues below advertisement

The arrests that resulted in injuries to officers took place between 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m., according to police.

One arrest happened after a male locked himself to an excavator that was on a flatbed truck. Removed from the excavator, he was held in contempt of a court-imposed injunction.

Another arrest happened after a female climbed atop the excavator and wouldn’t come down.

She climbed down herself following hours of negotiation. But then she was alleged to have resisted arrest.

Police later took her into custody. She, too, was held in contempt of an injunction, but police are still investigating her actions.

Numerous demonstrators tried to intervene while she was being arrested, police said. A male and female were later arrested for obstruction.

“In this instance, a group of demonstrators made a decision to protest unlawfully, our officers on scene dealt with an unfolding situation professionally and took action to ensure the safety of all involved,” said Supt. Chuck McDonald in a release.

WATCH: Protesters showed up at the Kinder Morgan Tank Farm in Burnaby

Click to play video: 'Protesters at Kinder Morgan Friday'
Protesters at Kinder Morgan Friday

Earlier on Monday, a police Emergency Response Team was used to extract a 70-year-old man who had suspended himself from a tree on Kinder Morgan property.

Story continues below advertisement

Terry Christenson told Global News he’d hoped that he would be able to stay in the tree longer, and was kept in jail overnight.

“All I’m saying is, yeah, there are conditions I signed, and we’ll take it from there. This isn’t over.”

Christenson, who is said he’s returning to his home in Ontario, is due back in B.C. for an April 9 court appearance.

There have been more than 60 arrests since Jan. 1.

The latest arrests came after Kinder Morgan was granted a permanent injunction to ban protesters from disrupting work at the Burnaby Mountain and Westridge Marine terminals on Mar. 15.

The $7.4-billion project will expand the existing 1,150-kilometre pipeline between Edmonton and Burnaby.

The expansion is set to increase the capacity of oil products flowing from Alberta to the B.C. coast from 300,000 barrels to 890,000 barrels.

Sponsored content