March 13, 2018 3:38 pm
Updated: March 13, 2018 11:04 pm

British police investigating after Russian exile found dead in London home

WATCH ABOVE: The president today joined British Prime Minister Theresa May in calling for Russia to come clean on the poisoning of a former spy in England. And while that was happening, we learned another Russian has turned up dead, in London.


British counter-terrorism police are investigating the unexplained death of a Russian associate of late tycoon Boris Berezovsky, but said the death was not thought to be linked to a nerve agent attack on a former Russian double agent.

READ MORE: Russian ex-spy mystery: Here’s what we know about nerve-agent attack on Sergei Skripal

Story continues below

Nikolai Glushkov, 68, was discovered dead late on Monday at an address in Clarence Avenue in suburban south-west London.

British police, who did not name Glushkov, said that they were investigating the death of a man in his 60s who lived on Clarence Avenue.

Police said the death was not linked to the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Salisbury.

“There is no evidence to suggest a link to the incident in Salisbury,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Counter-terrorism police were leading the investigation “because of associations that the man is believed to have had.”

WATCH: Only Russia could be behind U.K. poison attack: toxin’s co-developer 

Berezovsky was found dead in March 2013 with a scarf tied around his neck in the bathroom of a luxury mansion in Ascot, an affluent English town near the Queen’s Windsor Castle, west of London.

The 67-year-old tycoon had been one of Russia’s most powerful figures in the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. He was known as the “godfather of the Kremlin” before fleeing to London in 2000 after a row with Russian leader Vladimir Putin.

WATCH: Video coverage of Sergei Skripal nerve-agent attack in the U.K.

READ MORE: Russian TV host issues grave warning to ‘traitors’ living in U.K.

Britain granted Berezovsky political asylum three years later on the grounds his life would be in danger if he went back home.

His family feared he might have been murdered by enemies in Russia, but British police and forensic experts concluded Berezovsky had committed suicide.

Glushkov had worked for Russian airline Aeroflot and at Berezovksy’s LogoVAZ car company.

— Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge and Alistair Smout; editing by Stephen Addison

© 2018 Thomson Reuters

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.