Jordan Lafond inquest delayed until June due to lawyer illness

Click to play video: 'Inquest into death of Jordan Lafond delayed' Inquest into death of Jordan Lafond delayed
WATCH ABOVE: The inquest into the death of Jordan Lafond, who was a passenger in a stolen vehicle that crashed while being chased by Saskatoon police, has been delayed. Ryan Kessler with the details – Mar 5, 2018

The family of Jordan Lafond was disappointed to learn Monday the inquest into his death was postponed by nearly four months.

Lafond, 21, died after a vehicle he was a passenger in crashed near Bethlehem Catholic High School on Oct. 23, 2016.

READ MORE: Saskatoon police used physical force on man who later died in hospital

Saskatoon police said the vehicle in question was stolen and the driver refused to pull-over when prompted. It remains unclear whether the crash itself or use of force by police during Lafond’s arrest caused his death.

At the conclusion of the inquest, jurors will determine the cause of Lafond’s death and be able to five recommendations to prevent similar deaths in the future.

Story continues below advertisement

The inquest scheduled to begin Monday was pushed back because a lawyer involved was hospitalized due to illness.

The news disappointed Lafond’s family, says their lawyer Chris Murphy.

“Everyone was ready to go today,” Murphy said. “We’ll get ready to go again and the family will steel itself again and come back in June.”

WATCH: Chris Murphy, the lawyer representing Jordan Lafond’s family at the inquest, said members were ready for it to begin today, but understands another lawyer has fallen ill.

Click to play video: 'Lawyer on postponed Jordan Lafond inquest' Lawyer on postponed Jordan Lafond inquest
Lawyer on postponed Jordan Lafond inquest – Mar 5, 2018

Jury selection occurred as scheduled Monday, with a five-woman, one-man jury selected from two pools; one Indigenous and one non-Indigenous.

During a news conference in November 2016, then Saskatoon police Chief Clive Weighill said Lafond was thrown from the vehicle and it wasn’t believed that the vehicle ran him over. He said an officer used his knee to subdue Lafond while arresting him. The 21-year-old died in hospital the following morning.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Man sentenced in fatal Saskatoon stolen truck crash

In a statement Monday, current Saskatoon police Chief Troy Cooper acknowledged the death, saying the inquest is part of a larger process to examine the incident.

“We recognize this is a stressful time for all involved including the family, our members and the larger community,” part of the statement read.

“Our service will continue to cooperate with the office of the chief coroner during this process and remains committed to accountability and transparency.”

Presiding coroner Tim Hawryluk apologized to Lafond’s mother as he adjourned the proceedings, which are now scheduled to begin June 25.

Sponsored content