The Mill Woods Recreation Centre was evacuated Saturday morning because of a significant chlorine leak.
The facility was evacuated shortly after 10 a.m. About 40 people were asked to leave the rec centre during the evacuation.
Edmonton Fire Rescue Cpt. Rob Romick said the chlorine measured 22 parts per million. Anything above 10 parts per million is considered dangerous.
“Chlorine is a poisonous gas and can cause significant respiratory problems,” he said.
Romick described the leak as “significant,” but said it was contained to the chlorine room after lifeguards discovered the leak and stopped it.
“Staff entering that room is of course on SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus) air and they are wearing protective equipment,” Romick said.
“They’re very well trained and they’re very knowledgeable. They know what to do.”
The swimming pool reopened at 11:45 a.m.
Nine fire units were at the scene, along with hazmat and EMS.