Over 60 people were evacuated from the north tower of Calgary’s Coast Plaza Hotel Tuesday afternoon due to a chemical leak.
Fire officials said a maintenance worker was mixing pool chemicals in the basement, including chlorine, when some kind of reaction was caused.
An elderly maintenance worker was exposed to what paramedics believe to be chlorine, EMS said in a statement.
He was taken to Foothills Medical Centre in serious but stable condition. A second person was assessed and released at the hotel.
EMS remained on site as of 3:30 p.m. and Hazmat crews were entering the building to neutralize chemicals as necessary.