Saskatoon mayor, tribal council call for calm as jury deliberates Stanley trial

Defendant Gerald Stanley gestures in court in this courtroom sketch in Battleford, Sask., on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018. Cloudesley Rook-Hobbs

There are calls for calm as a Saskatchewan jury continues deliberating the fate of a farmer charged in the fatal shooting of a young Indigenous man.

Gerald Stanley, 56, is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old Colten Boushie from the Red Pheasant First Nation in August 2016.

READ MORE: Jury begins deliberating fate of Gerald Stanley

Court has heard that Boushie was shot in the head with a handgun while he was sitting in the driver’s seat of an SUV that had been driven onto Stanley’s farm near Biggar, Sask.

“This case has cracked open the racial undercurrent in Saskatchewan with the potential to further drive a wedge of mistrust between communities,” Saskatoon Tribal Council Chief Mark Arcand and Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark said in a joint statement.

Story continues below advertisement

“We cannot build our future with hateful dialogue and divisiveness. As we await the verdict and wonder what impact this could have on our province, and more importantly, our relations with each other, we must continue to work with each other in a good way, in a respectful way.”

The jury spent Friday morning listening to testimony from Stanley and his son.

Boushie’s uncle, Alvin Baptiste, said now it’s just a waiting game.

“I’m hoping the jury will do the right thing,” he said. “Right now, it’s pretty hard to predict where it’s going to go. They might decide second (degree murder), manslaughter, acquittal, a hung jury – so that’s where I’m at.”

Colten Boushie’s uncle, Alvin Baptiste, told reporters outside the courthouse that it’s now just a waiting game. Tyler Schroeder / Global News

The family is anxious for the case to wrap up, he added.

Story continues below advertisement

“It’s been hanging over my family’s head for quite a while. You know it’s time that my family starts to heal and move on.”

READ MORE: RCMP asking public to be peaceful, civil regardless of Gerald Stanley trial outcome

The trial has heard that the SUV that Boushie and four others were in that day had a flat tire. The driver testified the group had been drinking and tried to break into a truck on a neighbouring farm, but went to the Stanley property in search of help with the tire.

Defence lawyer Scott Spencer has argued Boushie died as a result of a freak accident when the gun misfired and Stanley never intended to hurt anyone. Crown prosecutor Bill Burge disputed that Stanley believed the firearm was empty and that the gun could have had a misfire, or hang fire.

The case has exposed an ugly side in rural Saskatchewan – landowners who blame Indigenous people for high rates of property crime and First Nations who bear the brunt of that racism and hate.

With the trial coming to an end the RCMP issued a statement reminding all people and parties to “conduct themselves in a peaceful and civil manner regardless of the outcome.”

RCMP also warned people will be held responsible for what they say or post online and police will investigate any complaints of suspected criminal behaviour.

Story continues below advertisement