Advertisement

Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan kills 95, injures over 158

Click to play video 'Death toll in Afghanistan suicide car bomb attack rises to 95 dead, over 158 injured' Death toll in Afghanistan suicide car bomb attack rises to 95 dead, over 158 injured
WATCH ABOVE: Warning: This video contains graphic images not suitable for all viewers, discretion is advised. The death toll after a suicide car bomb attack Saturday in the Afghanistan city of Kabul has risen to 95, with more than 158 injured – Jan 27, 2018

Afghan Public Health Ministry says death toll in suicide car bomb attack in Kabul has risen to 95, with 158 wounded in the deadliest insurgent attack in the country so far this year.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the attack, which sent thick, dark smoke into the sky from from the site of the explosion near the government’s former Interior Ministry building.

WATCH: Afghan soldiers killed in latest Kabul attack

Click to play video 'Afghan soldiers killed in latest Kabul attack' Afghan soldiers killed in latest Kabul attack
Afghan soldiers killed in latest Kabul attack – Jan 29, 2018

The attacker used an ambulance to get through a security checkpoint, telling police he was taking a patient to a nearby hospital, said Nasrat Rahimi, deputy spokesperson for the Interior Ministry. The attacker then detonated his explosives at a second check point, Rahimi said.

Story continues below advertisement

Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan goes off at security checkpoint

Click to play video 'Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan kills at least 40, leaves more than 100 injured' Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan kills at least 40, leaves more than 100 injured
Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan kills at least 40, leaves more than 100 injured – Jan 27, 2018

The Health Ministry said 40 were killed and about 140 wounded.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the bombing, which sent thick, black smoke into the sky from the site near the government’s former Interior Ministry building. Also nearby are the European Union and Indian consulates.

It was the second successful Taliban attack in a week on targets in the city with high security.

Last Saturday, six Taliban militants attacked the Intercontinental Hotel, leaving 22 people dead, including 14 foreigners. Some 150 guests fled the gun battle and fire sparked by the assault by shimmying down bedsheets from the upper floors. The U.S. State Department said multiple American citizens were killed and injured in the attack.

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH: Militants storm Save the Children aid group office in Afghanistan

Click to play video 'Militants storm Save the Children aid group office in Afghanistan' Militants storm Save the Children aid group office in Afghanistan
Militants storm Save the Children aid group office in Afghanistan – Jan 24, 2018

Afghan security forces have struggled to fight the Taliban since the U.S. and NATO formally ended their combat mission in 2014.

READ MORE: After overnight battle at hotel in Afghan capital, total casualties still unknown

President Donald Trump has pursued a plan that involves sending thousands more U.S. troops to Afghanistan and envisions shifting away from a “time-based” approach to one that more explicitly links U.S. assistance to concrete results from the Afghan government. Trump’s U.N. envoy, Nikki Haley, said after a recent visit to Afghanistan that Trump’s policy was working and that peace talks between the government and the Taliban are closer than ever before.

On Dec. 28 a suicide bomber and other explosions at a Shiite cultural center in Kabul killed at least 41 people in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group that may have been aimed at a pro-Iran news outlet based in the building.

Story continues below advertisement
Women try to enter the site of a deadly suicide attack to look for relatives in downtown Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018. (AP Photo/Massoud Hossaini)

WATCH: Afghan forces end deadly 13 hour Kabul hotel siege

Click to play video 'Afghan forces end deadly 13 hour Kabul hotel siege' Afghan forces end deadly 13 hour Kabul hotel siege
Afghan forces end deadly 13 hour Kabul hotel siege – Jan 21, 2018

On Wednesday, IS militants stormed the offices of Save the Children in eastern Afghanistan killing four and triggering a standoff with police that lasted almost 10 hours. The Islamic State group was involved in at least 10 fatal attacks in Afghanistan last year.

Advertisement