Midfield Park lawsuit dispute to be decided by Calgary judge next month
A Calgary judge is expected to decide how to settle a dispute between people living at Midfield Park mobile home and the City of Calgary.
Residents of the trailer park were told in 2014 they would have to move out by the end of September 2017.
Midfield Mobile Home Park had been slated to close at the end of September but a court injunction delayed the park’s closure at least until the case returned to court on Wednesday, Nov. 22.
On Wednesday, Justice Colleen Kenny heard arguments from city lawyers and lawyers representing tenants of the mobile home park.
Guardian Law Group lawyer Matthew Farrell who represents some of the residents argued the city discriminated against the people who live there.
Residents claim the city let the infrastructure deteriorate at the park so it would have to be shut down. They also claimed property values dropped and homeowners were left without fair compensation.
“The city would like you to take a narrow view of the evidence but I think the evidence of discrimination is significant. It bolsters our claim. It supports our claim,” Farrell said.
Midfield Park residents are suing the city for compensation, arguing the city violated the rights of the people who live there. They also want the park to remain open.
More than 30 former and current tenants of the mobile park appeared at Calgary Court Centre to show solidarity and support for their case.
Current Midfield resident Lori Sperling said she is receiving support from Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) and the park is all she can afford.
“I’m on AISH. I get a subsidy. That’s why I’m in there. That’s all I can afford. I bought a home and a circumstance, not just one thing.”
Another resident, Rudy Prediger claimed the city has different rules for different people.
“You got two different rules for people: People that live in mobile homes and people that live in other parts of the city. If they pulled this off in Mount Royal, they’d all be out of a job.”
“If they say, they treat everyone the same, they don’t know how to spell BS.”
Lawyers for the city said there was no proof of any discrimination. They also argued there is no legislative right for the city to compensate the residents any more than they already have.
Justice Kenny has reserved her decision until Dec. 8. Until then, the park remains open.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.