In light of actor Anthony Rapp‘s accusation of sexual assault against Kevin Spacey, the Emmys organizational body has announced that it is rescinding an award it was going to bestow on Spacey at next year’s ceremony.
The International Emmy Awards tweeted Monday evening that it will no longer go forward with their planned recognition of Spacey.
The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, which organizes the yearly Emmys, intended to honour Spacey for his work on Netflix series House of Cards.
Netflix announced Monday that the first-ever Netflix original TV show will be ending after Season 6. (The streaming service claimed that its cancellation had already been decided, and didn’t have anything to do with the accusations against Spacey.)
READ MORE: ‘Family Guy’ joked about Kevin Spacey more than 10 years ago
In an interview with BuzzFeed, actor Anthony Rapp (Star Trek: Discovery, Dazed and Confused) said Spacey befriended him while they both performed on Broadway shows.
Rapp was 14 when he attended a party at Spacey’s apartment in 1986, he said. At the end of the night, an inebriated Spacey picked him up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, Rapp said.
Rapp claims the 26-year-old was holding him down tightly, but he was able to get away and left the apartment.
Rapp, now 46, said he came forward after allegations against Harvey Weinstein sparked conversations about sexual abuse and harassment in the entertainment industry.
Spacey denied the accusation in a tweet, saying he is “beyond horrified” by allegations that he made sexual advances on a teen boy. The two-time Oscar winner claims that he doesn’t remember the encounter.
Spacey, who is now 58, also spoke publicly about his sexual orientation for the first time, revealing that he is gay. He had never disclosed his sexuality before but said Rapp’s story encouraged him to speak.
Other than the tweet, Spacey has not commented on the accusations or the rescinding of the Emmy honour.
— With files from the Associated Press