A fire broke out at an old strip mall in Delta late Wednesday morning, the second to hit the building in the past week.
Fire crews were called to the 9500 block of Scott Road around 11 a.m. Heavy smoke was billowing out of one of the windows of the complex.
Delta Police said that the fire was extinguished about 20 minutes later, and that the cause may have been electrical.
According to Scott Way, who owns a different business in the building, the fire-damaged business has been unoccupied since he started working there in 2008.
No one was inside the business at the time.
Another fire occurred in the same strip mall on Sept. 28, in another unoccupied business next door to the one that caught fire Wednesday.
Way believes that was also an electrical fire, which means it might be time for the mall to close for good.
“It’s an old building, so it’s probably not wired the best,” Way said.
“I think the building’s in trouble. It should probably be taken down before anything else happens. It’s two fires in a week. Not good news.”
Police closed a southbound lane of Scott Road as fire crews battled the flames, but it has since been reopened.