The executive director of the Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia says the Nova Scotia government should be addressing an already submitted strategy on acquired brain injury faster.
The government was sent a final report for the strategy in January, according to Leona Burkey.
“So, even though we know it’s there and we know the work has been done, the rub, of course, is in next steps,” she said on Friday. “We’ve got to get to work.”
The strategy addresses gaps in health care, among other problems, for people with brain injuries.
“Once people are discharged and they go back home to their communities, the problem lies there: They’re largely left to fend for themselves,” Burkey said.
She was part of the strategy’s advisory committee.
According to Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness spokesperson Tracy Barron, the committee’s report and recommendations are under review.
Once that’s done, it will be presented to the health minister.
“There is not a specific timeline or date,” Barron said in an email.
The strategy has been in the works since late 2014. Last year, 183 people provided feedback through 12 engagement sessions and an online survey, she said.
Burkey said brain injuries impact about 100,000 people in the province in some way.
June is Brain Injury Awareness Month and in honour of that, a flag was raised in the afternoon at Grand Parade.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.