April 5, 2017 5:26 am
Updated: April 5, 2017 10:13 pm

Father of Karim Baratov, alleged Yahoo hacker, promises electronics ban if bail granted

WATCH ABOVE: Karim Baratov’s lawyer says client remains in custody until bail hearing on April 11

A A

HAMILTON – The father of a Canadian man accused in a massive hack of Yahoo emails told an Ontario court Wednesday that he’d keep all electronic devices locked away and out of his son’s reach if his child is released on bail.

Akhmet Tokbergenov was testifying in a Hamilton courtroom at his son’s bail hearing, saying he and his wife are prepared to do whatever the court orders if their 22-year-old is released from custody.

Karim Baratov was arrested under the Extradition Act last month after U.S. authorities indicted him and three others – two of them allegedly officers of Russia’s Federal Security Service – for computer hacking, economic espionage and other crimes.

WATCH: Hamilton-area man accused in massive hack of Yahoo accounts seeks bail. Lama Nicolas reports. (April 5)


Story continues below

American authorities have alleged in court documents that Baratov, who was born in Kazakhstan, poses an “extremely high flight risk” in part due to his alleged ties to Russian intelligence agents and his financial resources. They’ve also noted that Baratov did not appear to have any “legitimate employment.”

Baratov’s lawyer has called the allegations against his client unfounded. He’s seeking to have the young man released on bail as he awaits an extradition hearing, arguing his client poses no flight risk.

Baratov’s father told the court he has no doubt his son will comply with any bail conditions.

READ MORE: ‘He’s not a criminal’: Parents of Canadian charged in massive Yahoo hack speak out

“I had an opportunity to speak with Karim when he was in jail,” Tokbergenov said through a translator. “He recognizes that he has to follow all the orders given by the court, he recognizes that (if he doesn’t), not only will we lose our assets, all our assets, but also our family.”

Tokbergenov said that every day since Baratov’s arrest, he and his wife have discussed their plan should their son be released on bail.

“I have a very concrete plan. All electronic devices, all computers, everything will be put in a lockbox,” he said. “My son will not have access neither to a TV, nor a computer, not to any electronics.”

READ MORE: Karim Baratov’s close friend speaks out after his arrest in massive Yahoo cyberattack

Tokbergenov added that he works from home and would be able to constantly monitor his son.

In a sworn affidavit filed with the court before the hearing, Baratov said he won’t try to use electronic devices if released on bail.

He also said his parents are willing to “propose a large sum of money” to secure his release.

“This represents the entirety of their life savings. As such, this will act as a significant deterrent to me to comply with any conditions imposed upon me by this honourable court,” he said in the document. “I will not let them down.”

Baratov also took the stand at his bail hearing, but did not directly speak to why he should be released.

READ MORE: Who is Karim Baratov? 22-year-old Canadian among 4 charged in massive Yahoo hack

Instead, during the bail hearing that was not subject to a typical publication ban, Baratov answered questions from a Crown prosecutor about his finances.

He explained that he started a company in 2014 that earned money by hosting webspace for small businesses and protecting websites from hackers.

He told the court he earned about $90,000 from his business in its first year, but earned less in later years.

In a document applying for Baratov’s release, lawyer Amedeo DiCarlo wrote that his client poses no flight risk as he doesn’t have ties to other countries – Baratov renounced his citizenship of Kazakhstan when he became a Canadian citizen, he noted.

DiCarlo also wrote that Baratov has no previous criminal record, and no history of failing to appear in court.

“There’s no way he’s going to flee,” DiCarlo said outside court.

The three other suspects indicted along with Baratov in the case are Dmitry Aleksandrovich Dokuchaev, 33, Igor Anatolyevich Sushchin, 43, and Alexsey Alexseyevich (Magg) Belan, 29, all Russian nationals and residents. It’s not clear whether they will ever step foot in an American courtroom since there’s no extradition treaty with Russia

Dokuchaev and Sushchin are said to be Russian intelligence agents who allegedly masterminded and directed the hacking, the U.S. Justice Department has said.

The pair allegedly tasked Baratov with hacking more than 80 accounts in exchange for commissions, according to U.S. authorities, who submitted a provisional arrest warrant for Baratov to Canadian authorities March 7.

Baratov’s father said he couldn’t imagine his son working for Russian intelligence officials.

“Not under my roof, nor his roof,” he said.

If convicted in the U.S., Baratov faces up to 20 years in prison, a Crown prosecutor said.

His bail hearing is set to continue next Tuesday.

 

© 2017 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.