March 23, 2017 5:34 pm
Updated: March 23, 2017 5:56 pm

London terror attack: Police say 75-year-old victim has succumbed to his injuries

A A

A man injured in Wednesday’s attack on Britain’s parliament in London has died, police said on Thursday.

The death brings the total number of victims to four. The assailant, named earlier by the police as British-born Khalid Masood, was himself killed by police.

READ MORE: What we know about Khalid Masood, the British-born man behind the London attack

Police said the victim was a 75-year-old man who was being treated in hospital.

Story continues below

The so-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement issued by its Amaq news agency, but did not name Masood and gave no details. It was not clear whether the attacker was directly connected to the jihadist group.

Among the dead were Masood, three members of the public, and Keith Palmer, the 48-year-old policeman stabbed by Masood.

“He will be deeply missed. We love him so much,” Palmer’s family said in a statement. He was married with a five-year-old daughter.

READ MORE: What we know about the London attack victims

Wednesday’s attack was the deadliest in Britain since 2005, when 52 people were killed by Islamist suicide bombers on London’s public transport system.

The casualties included 12 Britons, three French children, two Romanians, four South Koreans, one German, one Pole, one Chinese, one American and two Greeks, May said.

Queen Elizabeth released a message saying: “My thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathy are with all those who have been affected by yesterday’s awful violence.”

A minute’s silence was held in parliament and outside police headquarters on Thursday morning. A police Twitter account said it had been held at 0933 GMT because 933 was the shoulder number on Palmer’s uniform, but that tweet was later deleted and police released a different number.

As dusk fell, hundreds gathered in London’s Trafalgar Square in a vigil to remember the victims. With traffic diverted away, volunteers handed out candles in an eerie silence.

Helen Pallot, 26, from just outside London, was holding a bunch of flowers she planned to lay nearby.

“I have got a lot of friends and family that work five minutes away from there, so it just makes you think,” she said. “It made me angry and sad and I wanted to come here and show that we can still all be here together.”

READ MORE:  As it happened: Eyewitnesses describe London terror attack

Speaking at the United Nations in New York, British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson urged Internet providers and social media networks to do more to curb extremist propaganda.

“They’ve got to look at the stuff that’s going up on their sites, they’ve got to take steps to invigilate it, to take it down where they can,” he said.

© 2017 Thompson Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.