Recipes: Healthy meals that can be frozen at home
Cynthia Beretta’s Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 pound of Beretta’s organic lean ground beef
- ½ cup of chopped white onion
- ½ can (8-¾ ounces) of whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ can of green peas
- ½ cup of carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- Dash each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of Worchester sauce
- 2 tablespoons of 2% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub sweet potato and regular potatoes; dice into cubes and place in a large pot of boiling water and boil until tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the corn, peas, carrots, tomato sauce, Worchester sauce and spices. Place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over meat mixture.
Bake, uncovered at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Makes 4 servings.
Cynthia Beretta’s Bacon & Veggie Packed Breakfast Sandwich
- 6 slices of Beretta’s antibiotic & hormone free pork bacon, cooked
- 6 large eggs
- 6 English muffins
- 6 slices of cheese (swiss or cheddar)
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of pepper
- ½ lb of frozen or fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup of broccoli, steamed and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray and evenly divide the spinach and broccoli into each cup.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dish.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until the center is set and the outer edges are slightly browned.
- Build the sandwiches by adding one piece of the baked eggs, one piece of the bacon and one slice of cheese to each English muffin.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.