Khouri Green sentenced to life with no parole for 17 years in killing of Surrey realtor

Click to play video: 'Colin Hill’s murderer sentenced in New Westminster court' Colin Hill’s murderer sentenced in New Westminster court
An emotional day in a New Westminster courtroom where a young man was sentenced for murdering a father of two. Colin Hill died in his son's arms after trying to protect his family from a violent home invasion. Grace Ke reports – Jan 31, 2017

The 22-year-old man accused of killing a popular Surrey realtor in his home during a break-in in July 2015 was sentenced to life without parole for 17 years Tuesday afternoon.

Forty-two-year-old Colin Hill was trying to stop Green from breaking into his home at 64th Avenue and 165th Street when he was shot.

“Seventeen years is not enough,” Hill’s wife Becky said tearfully outside the courthouse Tuesday. “It won’t bring my husband back.”

Investigators say Hill tried to hold a door back from Green to protect his family, who was at home at the time of the break-in.

Emergency crews attempted to save the father of two, but he was later pronounced dead at the scene. Green fled in what was later found to be a stolen car. He was arrested several hours later and eventually charged with second-degree murder in Hill’s death.

Story continues below advertisement

Last November, Green entered an unexpected guilty plea.

On Monday, the court heard there was a struggle between Green and Hill. The whole ordeal was recorded on home surveillance video. Hill’s family and friends were weeping in court as the video was being shown.

Following Hill’s death, his wife Becky posted on Facebook that he was a very protective father, and the “very best husband a person could ever asked [sic] for.” Hill’s son Matthew also wrote a tribute letter dedicated to his dad, where he said no one in the world could ever replace him.

READ MORE: Slain Surrey realtor Colin Hill recalled as ‘hero’ at memorial service today

On Monday, victim impact statements of Hill’s family members were read out in court.

Matthew Hill read out his own statement.

Green is no stranger to the courtroom as he was sentenced to six months in jail in January 2015. Ironically, he was out of custody for three weeks and still on his one year probation when Hill was murdered.

Story continues below advertisement

He was well-known to police when he was still a juvenile.

Court records show Green has a lengthy list of convictions going back to 2010, including property offences, mischief, break-and-enters, possession of stolen property under $5,000, possession of a controlled substance and resisting arrest.

On top of the convictions, Green has a long and disturbing list of aliases he has used over the years.

 – With files from Jon Azpiri

Sponsored content