More than 120 firefighters spent up to five hours Sunday battling a five-alarm fire on Victoria Street.
The fire broke out around 6 p.m. in a building housing two restaurants — — the Lavanderia and Park Restaurant — belonging to Montreal celebrity chef Antonio Park .
According to Yvon Daunais, chief of operations for the Montreal fire department, the blaze may have been caused by a charcoal cooking ember.
Daunais said the ember likely travelled into the ventilation exhaust duct, and the accumulated cooking grease, fed the fire.
The flames then spread from the first floor, to the roof of the building.
“The damage to the building is more than $100,000,” Daunais said. “The fire spread to the roof and it sustained the most damage.”
There were no reports of injury.
Chef Park took to social media thanking firefighters for their hard work.
Park also extended thanks to wellwishers and expressed hope his restaurants would be up and running again in no time.