E-cigarette battery explodes in Louis Vuitton bag, prompts mall scare

Click to play video: 'Vaporizer explodes inside woman’s bag' Vaporizer explodes inside woman’s bag
WATCH: Vaporizer explodes inside woman's bag – Sep 14, 2016

FREEHOLD, N.J. — Surveillance video has captured an e-cigarette explosion at a New Jersey mall that left a woman’s Louis Vuitton bag smoking as she stood at a checkout counter, scaring a worker and another shopper.

The footage shows a cloud of black smoke pour out of the purse on Sunday and captured the surprise of those in a sunglasses store at the Freehold Raceway Mall, including a worker and the bag’s owner, Mara McInerney.

READ MORE: Teens use e-cigarettes because they are ‘cool, fun and new’: study

McInerney can be seen then dumping its charred contents onto the floor. She says everything inside had either melted or burned.

McInerney says the battery of her e-cigarette had been in a pocket by itself and exploded.

No one was hurt.


Sponsored content