Advertisement

Aaron Driver died of a gunshot wound after detonating explosive: police

Click to play video: 'Trudeau comments on Aaron Driver case' Trudeau comments on Aaron Driver case
WATCH: Prime Minister Trudeau comments on Aaron Driver case – Aug 16, 2016

Police have confirmed that Aaron Driver, the 24-year-old terror suspect who detonated an explosive in a taxi in Strathroy, Ont. last week, died from a gunshot wound after a standoff with police.

Ontario Provincial Police and RCMP descended on a home where driver lived that belonged to his sister in Strathroy on Aug. 10, where the suspect was located and a confrontation with police ensued.

READ MORE: Aaron Driver: What we know about the Canadian terror suspect killed in Ontario

“At approximately [4:30 p.m. ET] that male suspect exited a residence on Park Street in Strathroy and entered into a cab that had just arrived,” Assistant Commissioner Jennifer Strachan said Aug. 11.
Story continues below advertisement

“The RCMP emergency response engaged with the suspect who detonated a device in the back of the cab.”

Police said the cab driver suffered minor injuries and the suspect died during his “engagement with police.”

WATCH: Latest news on Aaron Driver 

The owner of Leo’s Taxi company confirmed to Global News Aug. 11 that his driver was injured and still in hospital and that the suspect had asked to be taken to Citi Plaza, a mall in downtown London, roughly 40 minutes away.

The owner said Driver was a regular customer, often taking him to his job at Meridian Lightweight Technologies Inc., a company that manufactures automotive parts.

The RCMP also released a “martyrdom video” at the news conference Aug. 11, where a masked man identified as Driver rails against Western “enemies of Islam.”

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Aaron Driver: Canada won’t be lucky forever, terror experts warn

Driver had been on the radar of intelligence officials for using social media to publicly support ISIS. He said the 2014 attack on Parliament Hill carried out by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was justified and encouraged ISIS to target the Canadian military and law enforcement officials.

He was arrested in June of last year in Winnipeg under suspicion he could have carried out a terrorist act, or helped a terror group. In February, he agreed to a number of peace-bond conditions that included living with his sister in Strathroy, Ont., as well as not possessing firearms or explosives, not possessing cellphones or computers, and not using social media..

RCMP deputy commissioner Mike Cabana said Aug. 11 an FBI tip early Wednesday alerted them to the “imminent threat” posed by Driver who was planning an attack within 72 hours at an urban centre during morning or possibly afternoon rush hour.

READ MORE: Aaron Driver timeline: Police intercepted terror suspect in a cab heading to London, Ont.

Driver’s former lawyer, Leonard Tailleur, said Aug. 11 he was “shocked” to hear his former client was allegedly planning to carry out a suicide bombing on a major Canadian city.

Driver’s remains were transported to the Office of the Chief Coroner at the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service in Toronto for examination and police confirmed Tuesday he died of a gunshot wound.

Advertisement

Sponsored content