Advertisement

Calgarians support proposed 12-year sentence for convicted rapists Corey and Cody Manyshots

Cody Manyshots (left) and Corey Manshots (right) are both charged with kidnapping and sexual assault. Facebook/Global News

WARNING: This story contains disturbing content. Discretion is strongly advised.

There was a quiet showing of support inside a busy Calgary courtroom Wednesday for the 17-year-old victim of Corey and Cody Manyshots, brothers convicted of kidnap and rape.

In November 2014, the teenage girl was taken from a northeast bus stop in Taradale and dragged to a nearby alley where she was sexually assaulted. She was then taken to a Martindale home where she was again repeatedly raped by both brothers. Corey forced her to perform oral sex.

READ MORE: Manyshots brothers admit to kidnap and repeated rape of Calgary teen

Corey and Cody Manyshots pleaded guilty to kidnapping, uttering threats, sexual assault, and robbery of a teenage girl. Cody’s defence lawyer is asking for six years minus (enhanced) credit-leaving approximately four years left to serve. Corey is asking for time served (at enhanced 1.5 credit) plus two years.

Story continues below advertisement

Calgarians from the community of Taradale–where the attack began–filled a bench in the room Wednesday for a sentencing hearing continuation date to be set.

Several of the community members wrote the number 12 on their cheeks, showing support for the Crown’s bid for a 12-year sentence for the brothers.

Watch below: Global’s ongoing coverage of the Manyshots brothers’ case

“We must consider the message the sentencing will send to the victim and all victims of sexual assault,” Taradale protester Khalil Karbani said. “We speak out today for concerned citizens on behalf of the residents of our community: all fathers that have daughters, all brothers that have sisters…and to everyone else seeking justice.

“We are saying no to a reduced sentence and we are saying no to less than twelve years.”

Story continues below advertisement

Resident Rachelle Christopher said when she drives by the bus stop where the teenage girl was taken by the Manyshots brothers, she says a prayer.

“As a part of the community association, we’ve been working on building a safer community,” she said. “We’ve had some groups getting together, we’ve been working with the police officers in our community…We just want people to feel safer but at the same time not be ignorant to the fact that these things can happen to anyone, anytime. It’s not the victim’s fault.”

READ MORE: No charges to be laid against father of brothers who pleaded guilty to rape of Calgary teen

Also in the room to show support for the young victim was the executive director of Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse, Danielle Aubry.

She’s outraged by a decision last week by Judge Terry Semenuk to not let the prosecution read the victim impact statement on behalf of the young girl.

“I think there’s something that needs to happen to make this person accountable, I would like to know from a judge what his reasoning was,” Aubry said. “It didn’t make any sense to the context as to what I said—what happens in this building every single day.”

READ MORE: Bail denied for Manyshots brothers accused of kidnapping and sexual assault

Aubry would like to see a review of the judge’s actions.

Story continues below advertisement

“I think it was a real travesty,” Aubry said. “Unfortunately judges don’t have to answer to us. They can do whatever they want.”

The sentencing hearing for the Manyshots brothers is scheduled for Nov. 25.

Sponsored content