Highrise owner pleads guilty in 2015 apartment fire that killed Toronto mother
The owner of Toronto highrise building has pleaded guilty to fire code infractions after a woman was killed in a second-floor apartment blaze last year.
The fire began around 11:40 p.m. in a unit at 2850 Jane St. near Finch Avenue W. in the city’s west-end on April 19, 2015.
Firefighters found a father, mother and child unconscious in a stairwell. The mother later died of her injuries, however the father and child survived.
Toronto Fire Services, along with the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office, said they discovered numerous fire code violations including exits signs that were not illuminated, no records of tests for emergency lighting and a stairwell door that did not close and latch properly.
Authorities said the open door caused smoke to enter the stairwell where the victims were found.
The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office determined the cause of the fire to be an unattended candle in the bedroom of the apartment unit.
The owner of the building, whose name has not been released, was fined $71,000.
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.