Advertisement

Nice attack: Islamic State claims responsibility for deadly violence

NICE, France – The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed the Tunisian man who barrelled his truck into a crowd in the French resort city of Nice was a “soldier” of the group. It’s the first claim of responsibility for an attack that claimed 84 lives at a July 14 fireworks display.

WATCH: Brother of Nice attacker stunned, while neighbours call truck driver ‘strange’

Click to play video 'Brother of Nice attacker shocked, neighbours call truck driver ‘strange’' Brother of Nice attacker shocked, neighbours call truck driver ‘strange’
Brother of Nice attacker shocked, neighbours call truck driver ‘strange’ – Jul 16, 2016

The claim – circulated on social media by a news outlet affiliated with the group – didn’t name Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the 31-year-old Tunisian who authorities say was behind the wheel as a truck crashed into a crowd of revelers at a fireworks display on Thursday. But the statement quoting a security member of the group said the man was following calls from IS to target nationals of countries fighting it.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Nice attack: France calls up reservist forces

The veracity of the group’s claim couldn’t immediately be determined, but what is known so far about Bouhlel thus far suggests a troubled, angry man with little interest in the group’s ultra-puritanical brand of Islam.

It’s also unclear whether or not he was acting alone. The Paris prosecutor’s office said Saturday that five people are in custody following the attack.

WATCH: Newly released video shows Nice attack chaos

Click to play video 'Nice attack: Newly released video shows Bastille Day chaos' Nice attack: Newly released video shows Bastille Day chaos
Nice attack: Newly released video shows Bastille Day chaos – Jul 16, 2016

The identities of most of those brought into custody were not clear. But neighbours in the Nice neighbourhood where the Bouhlel used to live told The Associated his estranged wife had been taken away by police on Friday.

The claim of responsibility came as French security chiefs met in Paris and as Nice’s seaside boulevard, the famous Promenade des Anglais, is slowly coming back to life. A makeshift memorial of bouquets, candles and messages had been set up near one end of the expansive avenue.

Story continues below advertisement
A soft toy sits with flowers and paper tributes near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack.
A soft toy sits with flowers and paper tributes near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack. AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani
A man stands among flowers and remembrance items on the Promenade des Anglais, near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack.
A man stands among flowers and remembrance items on the Promenade des Anglais, near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack. AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani
A teddy bear sits with flowers and paper tributes near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack.
A teddy bear sits with flowers and paper tributes near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. The man responsible for turning a night of celebration into one of carnage in the seaside city of Nice was a petty criminal who hadn't been on the radar of French intelligence services before the attack. AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani
Floral and papers tributes are laid with a French flag near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. Nice's seaside boulevard reopens to traffic Saturday following a dramatic truck attack which killed more than 80 people and wounded more than 200 others at a fireworks display.
Floral and papers tributes are laid with a French flag near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. Nice's seaside boulevard reopens to traffic Saturday following a dramatic truck attack which killed more than 80 people and wounded more than 200 others at a fireworks display. AP Photo/Luca Bruno

France is observing three days of national mourning in homage to the victims – although that hasn’t stopped politicians from sniping at each other over who bore responsibility for the failing to stop the attack.

In an open letter published on the Nice Matin newspaper’s website, regional council President Christian Estrosi – a member of France’s opposition Republicans – described the country’s current leadership as “incapable.” He said he had requested that the police presence be reinforced in Nice ahead of the display but was told there was no need.

Story continues below advertisement

France is heading into elections next year, and the deeply unpopular French President Francois Hollande is facing multiple challengers from within his Socialist Party, from the right-wing Republicans, as well as the far-right National Front.

Following the security meeting, Hollande met with ministers at the Elysee Palace.

WATCH: Local French nationals in shock after Nice attack

Click to play video 'French citizens in Montreal heartbroken over Nice attack' French citizens in Montreal heartbroken over Nice attack
French citizens in Montreal heartbroken over Nice attack – Jul 15, 2016

Sarah El Deeb in Beirut and Raphael Satter in Paris contributed to this report.