Funeral for N.S. teen killed in train crash to be held Saturday

Click to play video: 'Family and friends say goodbye to N.S. teen killed in train crash' Family and friends say goodbye to N.S. teen killed in train crash
WATCH ABOVE: Family and friends paid tribute to 17-year-old Cienna Rose MacPherson who was killed on June 10 in a train crash that also killed her friend Joana Hofer. Global's Marieke Walsh reports – Jun 18, 2016

The funeral for Cienna Rose MacPherson who was killed when she was hit by a train will be held Saturday afternoon at her high school.

Seventeen-year-old MacPherson and her friend, 18-year-old Joana Hofer, were killed on June 10 in Lantz, Nova Scotia, while the two were on the train tracks. RCMP have not released any details on how the incident happened.

The service is for MacPherson but will also pay tribute to Hofer, a former German exchange student from Germany. The families of both girls will be at the service at Hants East Rural High.

READ MORE: ‘Very, very tragic’: 2 teen girls killed after train collision in Lantz, Nova Scotia

In her obituary MacPherson is remembered as a “keen student” who “loved to share her knowledge with others.”

“Cienna was an adventurer and a hiker who was always up to explore. A leader and mentor to others, Cienna took every opportunity to travel within Canada and abroad through school, cadets, and with family,” reads the obituary.

Story continues below advertisement

MacPherson was born in Halifax to parents Mark and Candace, she is survived by them and her sister Jessica.

The collision happened overnight in a rural community 40 minutes north of Halifax. Hofer was visiting at the time and the two were attending an athletics banquet on Thursday night before the crash.


Investigation ongoing 

RCMP in Nova Scotia say the crash is still under investigation and the force isn’t releasing any other details on the circumstances around the collision.

Last Friday CN Rail said its fully cooperating with the RCMP and coroner’s office through the investigation.

In an emailed statement from CN Rail, spokesperson Jim Feeny said initial reports are that the train crew followed the proper procedure — using the horn and applying emergency brakes — but “it was impossible to stop the train in time.”

Story continues below advertisement

-With files from Alexa MacLean, Global News, and The Canadian Press.

Sponsored content