‘I’m not a bad guy’, says Calgary man accused in Crescent Heights body dismemberment
WARNING: This story contains graphic content. Discretion is advised.
A man accused of dismembering and trying to dispose of a young woman’s body last week in Crescent Heights remains in custody.
Joshua Weise appeared briefly Wednesday afternoon in a Calgary court.
He was scheduled to see a court doctor Wednesday morning.
Watch below: Global’s ongoing coverage of the Crescent Heights case
Weise spoke in court, telling the judge he hasn’t yet been able to get a hold of legal aid.
He also indicated he has a letter he wants to give to the court, but duty counsel advised against that.
The victim’s body was discovered in a treed area on the west side of the intersection of Centre Street N. and Samis Road N.E. last Wednesday. Police said a passerby made the grisly discovery while on their way to work.
The family has identified the victim as 25-year-old Joey English.
As 40-year-old Weise left the room, he told court, "I'm not a bad guy."
The Crown is opposing his release.
The case has been put over until June 21.
Police said it’s not yet known whether English died as a result of a criminal act.
Editor’s note: Weise appeared in court in person, not via CCTV from the Calgary Remand Centre as this article originally stated.
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.