The RCMP is asking children to send name ideas for the 2016 Name the Foal contest after six foals were born at the RCMP breeding farm in Pakenham, Ont.
“Each year, this contest allows the RCMP to connect with youth across Canada,” Supt. Leslie Cook said.
Cook is the officer in charge of the Musical Ride Branch, which runs the world-famous Musical Ride in which the foals participate in.
“Inspiring youth to find names for the foals provides a unique opportunity for them to get involved and be creative,” Cook said.
To qualify, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- The names of the foals must begin with the letter “N” and must be less than six letters;
- Entries must include the entrant’s first name, province and email address, as well as the suggested name for the foal;
- Entrants must be 14 years old or younger;
- Only one entry per child will be eligible;
- Online entries must be received no later than July 8, 2016.
Winning names will be chosen by instructors of the RCMP Musical Ride Branch. The winners will receive prizes, including a signed Stetson worn by a Musical Ride member, a framed picture of the foal, a T-shirt and decorative pins.
READ MORE: RCMP announce winners of national Name the Puppy contest
Schools are also encouraged to submit class entries and children can send their entry by mail or enter online here.
If sent by mail, entries should be post marked no later than July 4, 2016:
Contestants can send their mail entry to:
Musical Ride Branch
c/o RCMP Name the Foal Contest
PO Box 8900
Ottawa, ON. K1G 3J2
Contest winners will be announced in September and their names, along with the foal’s name will be posted on the RCMP website.
“We look forward to seeing the many creative names the children come up with for 2016,” Cook said.