Travis Vader‘s bail conditions will be reviewed after the 44-year-old was once again late for court Wednesday morning.
This was the fourth time Vader has been late to court since his double-murder trial began in early March.
The trial, now in its sixth week, was scheduled to begin Wednesday at 9:30 a.m., but by 10 a.m. lawyers were still waiting. Court eventually opened without Vader.
Vader’s lawyer Brian Beresh told the court that Vader had called his office at 9:05 a.m. Beresh said Vader was using a reliable vehicle, but it had been borrowed by someone else and hadn’t been returned on time.
Justice Denny Thomas issued a bench warrant until 10:30 a.m. and stated Vader’s release conditions will have to be reviewed.
Shortly after 10 a.m., Vader walked into court. The bench warrant was lifted.
“I have referred for review, your release arrangements,” Thomas said.
The bail conditions were originally scheduled to be dealt with at 1 p.m. Wednesday. However, it was put over until 1 p.m. Friday. The details of the bail proceedings are under a publication ban.
TIMELINE: The key events in the Travis Vader case
Vader was late several other times, twice citing car troubles, another time telling court he slept in.
Last Wednesday, Vader showed up at court just before 11 a.m. after he overslept. He apologized to the judge, saying he was being evicted from a motel. Vader said he was packing up his room and his alarm didn’t go off.
On March 29, the trial started two hours late. Vader apologized for holding up the proceedings and blamed the delay on “multiple vehicle problems.”
On March 14, the trial was also delayed because Vader’s vehicle broke down.
Vader is on trial for two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of St. Albert couple Lyle and Marie McCann.
The McCanns, who were in their late 70s, were last seen fuelling up their motorhome in their hometown near Edmonton on July 3, 2010. The motorhome was found on fire about 200 kilometres west of the city two days later. Their bodies have yet to be found.
Vader has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The trial was originally scheduled to last six weeks, but due to delays will now run into May.