Alex Chen, Executive Chef at Boulevard, shares his recipe for paella.
1 L lobster Stock
500 mL clam or mussel stock
1.2 L chicken stock
Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Set aside. Note: yields more than you will need for the paella recipe.
6 medium onions, minced
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 cups Spanish chorizo, diced
2 cups piquillo peppers, diced
8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp salt
3 cups mussel juice
3 tbsp sherry vinegar
1. Sweat onions, garlic, and chorizo in olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes on medium low heat.
2. Add paprika and piquillo peppers. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Add mussel juice and cook for 1 hour on low heat.
4. Add sherry vinegar and adjust seasoning as needed.
3 x 3 oz pieces lingcod
400g Bomba Spanish rice
6 tbsp fennel, cut brunoise
3 sprigs thyme
Small pinch saffron
4 tbsp tomato concassé (peeled, seeded and diced)
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cups paella stock (recipe above)
1 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
1/4 zest of an orange
½ juice of an orange
½ juice of a lemon
3 tbsp parsley, finely julienned
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and lightly sauté chorizo soffrito.
2. In a paella pan, toast rice on medium heat for 1 minute.
3. Stir in chorizo soffrito and tomato concassé.
4. Add white wine and cook until fully evaporated.
5. Add saffron, orange zest and orange juice, fennel, bay leaves and thyme.
6. Add paella stock and slowly stir until 2/3 of the liquid remains, then stop stirring.
7. Turn the heat down to low, and adjust seasoning as needed.
8. Season lingcod, scallop and prawns. Heat olive oil in a separate sauté pan and pan roast (about 2 minutes on each side for the lingcod, 1 minute on each side for the scallop, and 35 seconds on each side for the prawn).
9. Arrange mussels, clams, lingcod, scallops and prawns onto rice. Cook until liquid is full evaporated. You will hear the rice start to “pop” and form a crust on the paella pan.
10. Finish with drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and garnish with parsley sprigs.
More Global BC recipes are available here