March 10, 2016 7:06 pm
Updated: March 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Mouse infestation, poor sanitation among restaurant violations: Manitoba Health

File photo shows a burger being grilled.

AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee

WINNIPEG — More than 60 establishments around Manitoba have been closed for health infractions over the past year, over a dozen in 2016 according to a Manitoba Health report. Forty-three of the 62 closed were food service establishments.

Among the infractions that led to shut downs include rodent infestations, operating without a valid permit and poor general sanitation.

Story continues below

RELATED: Rodents and filthy walls among restaurant violations: Manitoba Health

Ban Tree Coffee at 4-164 Isabel Street has been closed since Oct. 30, 2015. “Mouse infestation, no certified food handler, insanitary condition and poor food handling practices,” are the reasons the establishment was closed according to the Manitoba Health report. It remains closed.

Natural Valley Products in Elie, Manitoba was closed on Dec. 18, 2015 for a long list of reasons. It’s still closed.

“Fail to ensure that potentially hazardous foods originate from an approved source; As the owner, allow meat that has not been inspected and approved in a food handling establishment; Utilize for food in a food handling establishment, meat that is not inspected and approved; Operate a meat processing plant which processes uninspected meat and fail to be in possession of a valid permit.”

The Logan Corner Restaurant at 247 Logan Avenue’s health permit was suspended and the establishment was closed on March 2 for poor sanitation and rodent activity. It reopened on March 7.

The list also includes 19 pools that were closed for a variety of health infractions over the past year. The pool at Edgewood Estates at 60 Whellams Lane was closed on March 7 for not using disinfectant and remains closed. Peak Performance and Athletics at 863 10th Street in Brandon also remains closed after being shut down on Sept. 28 2015. Failure of the automatic disinfectant system resulted in no disinfectant being present in the water.


© 2016 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News