February 13, 2016 7:06 pm
Updated: February 15, 2016 7:40 am

Mother, son safely evacuate home after unattended candles cause fire

Saskatoon firefighters extinguished a blaze inside a trailer home in the Forest Grove neighbourhood.

Luke Banville / Global News

SASKATOON – The Saskatoon Fire Department is advising the public not to leave lit candles unattended after extinguishing a blaze Friday. At 11:34 p.m. CT, a 911 call from a person living at #82-219 Grant Street reported heavy smoke in the home.

Officials say a woman and her teenage son safely evacuated the trailer home in the Forest Grove neighbourhood.

READ MORE: Fire destroys house in Saskatoon’s Lawson Heights neighbourhood

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the back bedroom, entered and had the blaze under control in five minutes.

An investigator determined the cause of the fire was unattended candles.

Damage is estimated at $20,000.

© 2016 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News