Anonymous declares war on Donald Trump; takes down website
The hacker collective Anonymous has declared war against Donald Trump after the Republican presidential candidate called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States” earlier this week.
In a video released Wednesday, the so-called “hacktivist” group warned that Trump’s words could give more power to the Islamic State group.
“This policy is going to have a huge impact. This is what ISIS wants. The more Muslims feel sad, the more ISIS feels they can recruit them,” said the masked figure in the video.
“The more the United States appears to be targeting Muslims, not just radical Muslims, you can be sure that ISIS will be putting that on their social media campaign. Donald Trump, think twice before you speak anything. You have been warned.”
On Friday morning, Anonymous took responsibility for taking down the Trump Tower New York’s website using a Denial of Service Attack (DDoS).
DDoS attacks are often used by hacker groups to bring down websites by flooding the site with requests until its servers are overloaded and crash.
However, the website appeared to be operating normally by 11 a.m. ET.
Trump’s comments surrounding Muslims have garnered harsh criticism from many, including the White House.
On Tuesday, the White House said Trump’s plan to ban Muslims from entering the United States disqualifies him from being president.
“What Donald Trump said yesterday disqualifies him serving as president,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest said. “And for Republican candidates for president, to stand by their pledge to support Mr. Trump, that in and of itself is disqualifying.”
Anonymous was also busy running an operating targeting the Islamic State Friday.
The group declared December 11 a day to mock the Islamic State and encouraged users to tweet offensive and funny memes using the hashtag #TrollingDay.
© 2015 Shaw Media