Pills found in Lloydminster children’s Halloween candy
EDMONTON — Lloydminster RCMP are investigating five reports of pills being found in children’s trick-or-treat bags this Halloween weekend.
The first child found an entire blister pack filled with medication mixed in with their candy.
In the second case, a child bit into a Snickers chocolate bar and found a round, white pill inside. The child did not ingest the pill; she gave it to her parents. Police said after a closer look, it appeared the chocolate bar wrapper had been opened and resealed. The pill was stamped with APO, RCMP added.
No children have become sick, but RCMP are urging parents to check their kids’ Halloween candy and throw out any homemade candy, or goodies that appear to have been opened.
RCMP said three of the five claims have been confirmed and all of the cases are being investigated. There have also been several additional claims on social media.
“We feel it’s important to stress the conscientious use of social media, as we are aware there have been a number of posts on Facebook regarding claims of candy tampering in the Lloydminster area,” said Const. Grant Kirzinger.
“We urge people using social media not to spread unsubstantiated allegations, particularly those of a criminal nature, but instead to use social media to share more practical and common-sense advice, and report legitimate occurrences to police in order for a thorough investigation to be conducted.”
Police ask anyone who may have similar complaints to call the Lloydminster RCMP detachment. Officers ask parents to keep any pills or anything suspicious they may find amongst the candy as it could assist in their investigation.
© 2015 Shaw Media