UPDATED: Regina teen escapes captor after being kidnapped, sexually assaulted

REGINA – A 19-year-old Regina man is facing a long list of charges after allegedly kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 17-year-old woman earlier this week.

Shortly after 1:00 a.m. Wednesday morning, Regina police were called to the General Hospital and told that a 17-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted by a 19-year-old man.

Police say the victim and the accused knew each other prior to that night when the two apparently connected through social media to arrange for the sale of a phone. At around 9:00 p.m. Tuesday evening the two met in a parking lot in the Glencairn neighbourhood, near Dewdney and Oxford Street.

Police say the accused entered the victim’s car, threatened her with a knife, drove her just outside the city’s east end and sexually assaulted her. The victim was then placed in the trunk of the car and driven back into the city. At one point while the car was stopped she was able manipulate the trunk latch to escape and flee the scene.

Story continues below advertisement

Supt. Corey Zaharuk said the victim sustained life threatening injuries. “I won’t get into the specifics into what her injuries are, but she did suffer physical injuries that are not necessarily only attributed to the sexual assault.”

Police are not seeking any other suspects in this incident, but Zaharuk added there was some sort of replica or real firearm that’s been sent away for analysis.

Nineteen-year-old Kohl Alexander Elder made his first court appearance Thursday morning on numerous charges including:

  • Attempt Murder
  • Kidnapping
  • Armed Robbery
  • Overcome Resistance
  • Sexual Assault with a Weapon
  • Forcible Confinement
  • Uttering Threats
  • Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000
  • Fail to Comply with Probation Order
  • Possession of a Controlled Substance (Marijuana)

Zaharuk wouldn’t speak to specifics but said Elder was on probation for a “violent offense” when he was arrested.  Elder’s parents attended Thursday’s proceedings and his mother wept as he was led into the courtroom. He is scheduled to make his next appearance on Tuesday, October 20.


Sponsored content